Thursday, February 7, 2008

Notice of Redelivery

In Japan when the post man comes to deliver a package and no one is home he puts a white slip into the mailbox called a "Notice of Redelivery." Then I call the post office and set up a time for him to come back-actually another guy usually comes, I think.

Anyway, recently I have received several of these notices-because of the kindness and generosity of friends and family. The funny thing is that every time the guy comes-it has been the same guy three times in a row-he asks if this is the Reed residence! As far as I know I am the only foreigner in my apartment complex. My name is not at all Japanese sounding. And my appearance is nothing like any Japanese people I have ever met. The packages all come from overseas. I want to laugh out loud each time he asks me that question! But, I try to refrain and just answer politely.

Thank you to all of you who have sent packages and made my day twice, once when the delivery guy comes and asks if this is my house and the second time when I open it and find wonderful treasures!

No comments: