Tuesday, February 12, 2008

God in the City


Tokyo from my hotel room

I have been reading and contemplating a book given to me for my birthday, "Embracing Soul Care." The readings are to draw our souls to God. There have been lots of conversations about nature, mountains, trees, flowers, etc. One step into a park, under a tree, in front of a sunset, on top of a mountain and I am praising God.

Last night's reading spoke what I feel about cities. I grew up in a small town and loved it. However, I am completely intrigued by big cities! I love all of the hustle and bustle. I wonder where all of those people are going. Where do they live? What do they do all day? And then the relative silence at night when most people are inside.

Here is what the book had to say:
"Cities matter to God... As much as the natural world displays the beauty of God's handiwork, cities reveal the deep compassion of God's heart. Cities are where people live and work, where they forge relationships and practice their faith... courage is needed to survive and thrive in the city... Our faith embraces urban concerns and expresses compassion for the poor inside the city's walls. We concern ourselves with government and leadership, as well as integrity in the marketplace. In cities and villages, Jesus' message was always the same... No matter how large the place where you live, the message of Jesus is for those people."

Here I am on the top of the Eiffel Tower with the city of Paris behind me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So many people, so few who remember to depend upon the God who created them. Oh, for hearts that long for the answer to all the questions that would help with any situation and be the Solution for all of our wants and needs!