Thursday, March 27, 2008

Easter basket


I got to preach my first Easter sermon this year. I really felt the importance while I was preparing! It took me quite a long time to write. Thankfully, God is in control!

I talked about new life and talked about various Easter and spring traditions around the world. Most European and Eastern European countries do something with eggs. So, I decided to color eggs for everyone. Since we do not have those nice little Easter egg dying tablets by PAAS, I had to do it the old fashioned way, with food:) There are tons of sites about decorating eggs 'naturally.'

Since red seemed to be a color that many countries used I wanted to make red eggs. I decided to make yellow, too, because I had more confidence in that coming out the right color. I was right!

On the list of things to use for coloring eggs red, red wine was the most easily accessible to me. So, I bought some cheap red wine in a box-that was probably my first mistake. For yellow eggs, I used cumin. I guess I let the eggs soak too long in the wine. They turned out brown with a sandy film. When I rinsed it off, though, they turned into these cool marbled eggs. The yellow ones turned out beautifully.

Everyone kindly took an egg, or two, and some people even ate them. I have been eating the leftovers for breakfast this week! The wine soaked eggs have lovely brown spots on them when peeled!

My kitchen smelled great, though, on Saturday as they were boiling and soaking. It smelled like I was an amazing cook!:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shan, I have published 2 comments on this and they won't take.