Saturday, August 18, 2007

Japanese Cicadas


I don't know if you can see the cicada in the middle of the tree in the picture, but the picture is taken from my veranda. I just stood at the rail-second floor-and zoomed in on the little noise maker. This guy and hundreds of his buddies with their little built in amplifiers, as Dave Barry says, have been my alarm clock for the past month. I usually begin to hear them about 5:30AM. Now that I am sleeping with the windows closed and the A/C on, I can usually sleep until about 6AM. The only benefit is that it makes me get up and get my run in before it gets just too hot to run. The past few days they have only been making noise until about 11AM, which is much better than the 3PM of a week ago. They are so noisy that in some parks I run through I have started going around the park because it is too hard to run and plug my ears at the same time! It is amazing how much noise a little bug can make. Of course, they are about 10 centimeters long so they aren't super little. I guess when I practice my clarinet in the morning it doesn't bother the neighbors so much because they can barely hear it!

No comments: