Monday, May 21, 2007

Basketball

I was introduced to a basketball group by a missionary friend. When in language school I played at a community gym and had lots of fun. There I was the tallest girl by about a foot-I am not kidding! When the girls went up for a shot the guys would back off and let them shoot-although they never seemed to do that for me. Since moving here I have sort of half-heartedly been looking for a group to play with. Well, two weeks ago at a missionary prayer meeting one of the ladies was asking about what I like to do in my free time and I mentioned basketball. The next day she emailed me with the name of another missionary who plays in Osaka city with a group.

So, tonight was my first adventure in basketball here in Osaka. It was very different from the group in Karuizawa but just as much fun. There were about 30 people there, about 15 women and about 15 men. And, most of the women were only inches shorter than me! We did a few warm ups and 3 on 2 and 3 on 3 drills. Then we made two women's and two men's teams and took turns playing 10 mintue games. Subs were allowed at the five minute mark and we didn't have enough for a full fresh group each time.

Anyway, all that to say I had a great workout and met a bunch of new people. I am looking forward to next week's gathering! And, we'll see if I can move my arms in the morning:) Thankfully, I have been running consistently so my legs should be okay-I hope!:) I do miss the onsen I used to go to after baskeball in Karuizawa, though!

No comments: