Saturday, September 15, 2007

Writer's block

I finally got an outline ready in English for my sermon next Sunday. After a break to wash dishes and let ideas flow through my head I sat down to start writing in Japanese. The problem, I couldn't get started.

So, I decided to go to the Jazz Street concert at the station. This weekend is "Jazz Street" in our city. At about 10 different locations throughout town there are concerts going on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon-one of which our Gospel choir is singing in on Sunday afternoon. A gal from our choir also sings in another Gospel choir and that director works with another choir which was singing this evening. Since I was stuck in my writing, I went.

I figured out why I was stuck! About 9 people from our choir were there and after the other Gospel choir sang we got to chat for a while. I also got a feel for where we will be performing tomorrow. Also, we decided that the 5 songs we have been practicing were not enough so we needed to add one more. I am glad I was there for the discussion, I may not have checked my email to find out that we are singing another song!

While I was annoyed that I didn't get to start on my sermon tonight, God had plans for me just to hang out and enjoy some music! It goes with what I read in "The Rest of God" this morning! Buchanan said, "In God's economy, to redeem time, you might just have to waste some." He was reminding us to not be so rigid about time, to give ourselves permission to spend time.

No comments: