Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Another quote

I am often inspired by words.  My words are not usually overwhelmingly amazing.  However, there are times when I read the words of others and I feel an instant connection.  THAT is just what I wanted to say but couldn't find the right words.

One person I admire and whose words I appreciate is Fredrick Buechner.  He was a German pastor and theologian during world war two.  If you recall what the atmosphere of Germany was like during that time you can imagine how well his zeal for God went over.  Yep, like a lead balloon.

He was arrested and eventually executed at a concentration camp, just days before it was liberated.

But his words and testimony live on.  They continue to inspire and instruct.  His love for God and being a witness to that love in a dangerous situation challenge and encourage me.

I was reminded last week by a friend that Fredrick Buechner was executed on April 10, 1945.  On April 11, my flip calendar had a quote from him!  (I have had this calendar for many years and never realized this coincidence!)

The quote reads...

"What we need to know, of course, is not just that God exists, not just that beyond the steely brightness of the start there is a cosmic intelligence... but that there is a God right here in the thick of our day-by-day lives who may not be writing messages about Himself in the starts but in one way or another is trying to get messages through our blindness."

God is trying to get our attention.  He is personal and will speak to us in ways that only we personally can understand.  He is trying to get our attention to let us know that He loves us, that He wants to have a relationship with us, that we are precious to Him.

Not only is He the creator of the universe and more than we can see or imagine, but He is also the lover of our souls, pursuing us as His beloved.

No comments: