Thursday, January 8, 2015

Another quote


I am sort of on a quote kick.  Here is another one that has had me pondering for a couple of days...


Listen to your life.  See it for the fathomless mystery that it is.  In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments and life itself is grace.
~Frederick Buechner



All moments are key moments.

All moments are key moments.

This is written by a man who spent the last years of his life in Nazi prisons.  I would like to learn to live each moment this way.

Sometimes I forget.

Many times I think, "If I can just get through this moment, this hour, this day, then I will make it to another or a new key moment."

I forget to stop and smell the roses.

I forget to greet my neighbor and ask how she is doing.

I don't notice the sunset.

I rush through my classes so that I can get to my to do list.

I don't think I am going to attempt to make this something to which I aspire this year.  Tomorrow.  Yes, tomorrow I am going to listen to my life.  Tomorrow I will focus on the moments rather than the to do list.  I will focus on the faces of those I pass by rather than the light that is about to change to red.  Tomorrow I will notice God's handiwork in the mountains, sky, plants, and people rather than running to my car or staring at at screen.

Now, I will go to sleep in peace, trusting God who knows my tomorrow and will walk through it with me, even when I forget the moments.


No comments: