Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hmmm....

I was just spending a few minutes catching up on reading blogs. I have several friends whose blogs I follow and enjoy reading about their lives and how God is working around the world and in their lives. As I was reading I realized that it has been a while since I wrote anything. Not because nothing has been happening, not because I have been too busy, but just because. So, here is a little update on life...

Church planting
Sometimes when I say I am helping to plant a new church it sounds pretty unreal-me, a church planter. I suspect there are a few of you who have known me since I was little and wonder what in the world God had in mind when He sent me here. I tell you what, I have no idea what I am doing most of the time! I spend a lot of time doing things I never in a million years would have thought I'd be doing. I speak Japanese, I lead Bible studies-sometimes in Japanese! - I lead music-that one pretty much takes the cake- I preach- in Japanese! etc, etc. I went to college and studied elementary education. I taught elementary school. Little kids don't scare me. I love hanging out with them. I had fun being a teacher-although that first year about killed me, thank goodness my mom and principal made me stick it out! I lived in Texas. These are all things that were comfortable. Then, God uproots me, reminds me of a call He placed on me as a child and sent me here. I guess He thought I needed to be uncomfortable. I guess He wanted me to rely on Him a bit more. Well... !

Music
I have been taking a piano class from our choir director (I do not know where that man gets all of his energy!) I like music, but I am not a natural musician. So, I am plugging away, trying to remember what Kris and Verda and James and Ted and others taught me about music. It is lots of fun and lots of work. Recently Paul has had to help out at another church or be at some other event so I have been left in charge at church. This means not only preparing a message. It also means I have to lead the music! I am thankful for a gracious group who sings their hearts out and pretends like they don't notice that I have no idea what is going on! I am also thankful that Noriko has been able to help out sometimes with the piano!!! Total dependence.

Relationships
There are so many wonderful friends with whom I get to interact on a regular basis. We go to lunch, coffee, music practices, hang out at each other's houses, or whatever. Some want to learn more about Jesus. Many only speak Japanese. I am still learning how to communicate in this language. Total dependence.

So, here I sit, perched on the edge of my seat wondering what God has planned next, how He is going to bring this all together. I just keep trusting knowing He has a plan. Each day I am learning a little more about this dependence to which He calls me.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Just reading about some of the things you are doing puts knots in my stomach to think of me doing those things. I was instructed to lead the singing at our small church in Palau and about stroked out. Thanks for being where you are and being willing to be used even though it's far from comfortable. I'm excited to watch God's plan for you!