Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bragging

This is the day when bragging seems to be everywhere.  The most common phrase is: "my dad is the best dad in the world."  I love hearing the dad bragging.  Dads are so important in our lives and sometimes they get a bad rap.

For us girls, dads are the first relationship we experience with the opposite sex.  They teach us how to interact with males and how we should be treated by males.  Their presence in our lives gives us confidence and teaches us what love is about.

For boys, dads teach their sons how to interact and how they should treat women.  They teach their sons what it means to be a man and give them confidence.

For all of us, dads can also help us understand our heavenly Father's love.  We learn about unconditional love and how to accept that love.  We learn how to show love, about joy, about laughter, about suffering, and about forgiveness.

Dads are human and sometimes make mistakes.  But, it is through my dad that I have learned the most about my heavenly Father.  I am eternally grateful for the love my dad has for his Savior and they way he lives that out in front of me and our family.  I am thankful for the way he has loved my mom, my sister, and me.  I am thankful that he has shown us how to love our neighbor as ourselves.  I know he has made a couple of mistakes along the way :)  but through those I have learned how to say sorry and ask for and give forgiveness.

God has blessed me deeply with a father who I can call dad.  Thanks for letting me brag a little!

No comments: