Thursday, July 19, 2018

Reflections

I am out of the practice of writing.  Not only on my blog, but also in other areas of life.  This is a good place for me to return and start up again.  I don't know if anyone will even read this or even remembers that I have a blog.  But, for me, that is not the point.  The point is to write.  Writing helps me reflect on life, thoughts, attitudes, actions.  It gives me a few moments of quiet, keeps me off of social media for a few minutes, keeps me from watching TV for a few minutes.

A lot has happened since my last post.  I won't try to review it all.  One of the biggest life-changing events happened, though, and it has had an incredible impact on my life, my way of life, my attitudes and my actions.  Six months after I took the trip to SD and then to Haiti, my dad graduated from this life and is now living in the presence of Jesus.  This new reality now impacts every part of my life and will probably come up as I write.

I had just turned 47 years old.  My dad has been the man in my life since I was born.  47 was not my favorite year.  It was hard.  It was messy.  I learned more in that year than I wanted to learn.  But, through it all, Jesus stuck with me.  When I was sad, mad, confused, joyful, content, Jesus was there.

I am now approaching 49.  I know we like to say that age is just a number.  Yet, I think there is significance in paying attention to and celebrating the passing of time.  Our lives are but a breath.  Like the lilies of the field, here today and gone tomorrow.  What have these years of my life meant?  What have I learned?  How have I grown?

These are important questions.  I hope they keep coming up in my mind as I reflect on life.  I hope I keep paying attention to the answers and the ponderings that spring up from these questions.

Here we go again!  Where is God going to take me?


No comments: