Sunday, January 31, 2016

What's Going On?

Reflecting...


2016 has started with some amazing acts of God.  I have been surprised by where He has shown up, how He has encouraged me, what He has provided for me.

When reflecting on last year, I realized one thing God did was teach me, again, how important His word is.  I was reminded of the depth of His word and the love it proclaims, the joy of studying it, and the blessing of teaching and sharing it with others.

As 2016 started, this hunger for God's word did not die out.  However, God has added another layer.  My desire for His word is not just growing, but also my desire for Him.  I have enjoyed the times of togetherness and studying things like spiritual disciplines over the last month.

Somehow I was surprised by the spiritual attacks that would follow such learning.  You'd think by this time in my spiritual walk, by this time in my life, I would not be surprised by such things.

Once I allowed God to start forming my heart to be more like His, He also started working on my character!  (I know, the two can't be separated, but in my neat little world, they were.)  Just like heart work, character formation hurts, especially when I am not paying attention to what is going on and let my flesh side get rattled.

This past week I almost let God's pruning in my life turn into a grudge toward a friend.  It was one of those moments when I literally said out loud, "Oh, good grief!  I get it now.  I am sorry for my inappropriate reaction!"  And, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.


The hard work of growth


When I stand before God daily, I want to notice where He is at work in my life and listen to what He wants to improve in my character and my heart.  Because, I want to have a heart like His.  I want to become more and more like my Savior Jesus.

Heavenly Father, thank You for teaching me with patience and faithfulness.  May my heart become more like yours today.  Thank you!




No comments: